Well I've been somewhat productive lately, so I decided to take a moment and make a quick blog post. So my friend on Facebook mentioned she needed help with a bake sale. She needed people to make a treat and donate it so they could raise money for her nursing school project (or something similar). I thought "I can do that- easy" So I looked through my stash of supplies and settled on using some pretzels that we didn't need and some frozen chocolate I had saved from a chocolate fountain in the freezer. It wasn't too long ago, so it should still be fine. I thawed the chocolate, heated it up, poured it in a bowl, tasted it- tasted great, and started dunking bags full of pretzels in it. Look- I took pictures to show you. :)
In my strange and confused young mind I'm picturing people at the bake sale buying bags of my glorious chocolate covered pretzels with cute little fall sprinkles on them. Look- notice the neat fall sprinkles? "Ooooh, cute Rachel" people would say.....
SO- I make this mass production of beautifully covered chocolate pretzels and sprinkles. Lots of them. A whole counter-full to be precise.
And they are glossy, and shiny, and..................not drying. So I go get a fan and put it over them.........not drying. My sometimes-useful-in-these-cases-husband comes along and says..... did your chocolate have oil in it? I say- Yes..... and then this whole train of thought comes quickly to my mind. I zone out when I can hear him explaining why oil spills in the gulf are so hard to clean up and why oil on people's drive ways never goes away etc. etc. etc. As he is explaining the process of kitty litter, the realization has happened. I am not going to salvage these treats. They are imposters that look like beautiful chocolate covered pretzels with fall sprinkles, when in actuality- they are slippery, moist and messy pretzels. Darn it, darn it. Into the trash they went.
Lesson learned: Chocolate with oil in it- NEVER DRIES!
So, sadly I had to run to The Walmart and purchase 2 bag mixes of brownies. I made them, cooled them and squished them into the cute baggies that were meant for the pretzel mix.... Hope she was able to make a quarter or two as a result :)
This is literally the fourth time I've tried to post a comment. I'm on a different computer now. My butt is numb (and that's a lot of numb) because I've sat at the computer so long. I'm sorry that you had the chocolate fiasco of 2011. I would have sucked off every pretzel before throwing it out. I would have!!
ReplyDeleteWell just crap! At least you got a blog post out of it so it wasn't a total waste. Maybe you should have sprinkled them with kitty litter instead of sprinkles.
ReplyDeleteI would have fed tehm to my teenage son and my nieces and nephews. I hate cooking disasters. I always envision something coming out beautifully and when it doesn't I never want to try again. The chocalate I use for things like this is the Bakers brand baking chocolate. It is perfect for chocolate caramel apples.
ReplyDelete