Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Survived the Luau, oops I mean- Nascar Party!





I'm telling ya the truth when I say that having a Luau for 150 people with a full buffet is way easier than a theme party for 6 year old twin boys.  Hands down.  I feel like I've been through a war.  I was victorious though and survived with only minor casualties. Sorry about the pictures being at the bottom.  I still don't know what the crap I'm doing with blogging.



My house and yard survived and there's only minor damage to the boys toy guns (who knew the first thing all the kids would do was grab a toy gun out of the toy chests and head for the trampoline??) I guess I should have suspected that the children would take the boys toys out in the sand- heck why not?


I found dinosaurs, dragons, more guns and some of my silverware in the sand.  We had a couple cry-ers,  a couple whiners, but I loved it all and had so much fun.  It turned out great and we had 92% attendance which is amazing for party statistics!


Ironically, most of my Nascar registered trademark merchandise never showed up.  I ordered it quite a while ago.  The "essence" of the party, if you will, never came. I got like an 1/8 of it in one small box.  16 cups, a few plates, and a table cloth.  Well there's a great base to a party! Yeah so the company "Goodie Gum Drops" got a couple of emails and voicemails from me.  I promised them I would spread the good word to everyone not to use them for anything, ever. 

http://www.goodiegumdrops.com/ Then you can block it out of your web browser. 


I'm experienced in party throwing, but this was my first party just catered to the little people.  Hardest thing was the logistics of it all.  First you do free play, then pizza, then games, then free play, then dessert, then pinata, then they go home.  But in between all that is the difficult parts.  Half of them want to do the next activity and half don't.  Some wanted more games, some wanted more candy.  Some need help getting their capri suns open and so forth.... I looked over at one point and a little kid was smashing his cake into my grass and smiling..... Another little boy kept pouting and I found him hiding behind my really pokey/spiny palm tree.  Bad choice of hiding places kid.

 But the Pinata is always a crowd pleaser and really fun to watch- that is until the thing breaks open.  Then there's the Pinata Aftermath.  Tornados leave less damage than most pinatas.



Pinata Aftermath= a million microscopic pieces of tissue paper and wrappers everywhere.

No sense telling them to take the candy home- they're 4-6 years old remember? They don't savvy too well when it comes to candy etiquette.




One of the fun games we played was the box races. I decorated two large car seat boxes like Kyle Busch's 18 car and Joey Logano's 20 Home Depot car.  The boys were divided into two teams and they had to put the car, helmet and safety glasses on and race down to a pylon and back.  They had so much fun.  We got some really great pictures of this! Oh yeah, and I did return the two pylon's that I "borrowed" for the evening.... they are back guarding the new sewer pipe cover at Jones and Horse Rd.





















You might ask why it took me so long to get this post up?  And that is because I have spent the good part of my day helping the boys open all their toys.  I have stock in Energizer batteries now because of all the batteries required to power the small army of toys they received.  And they got some amazing toys..... the luckiest 6 year old twins I know of.  They are going hog wild in the living room right now with their spoils.  And I'm happy for them because I think it's so cool they love playing with trucks and don't play video games or spend their time watching those cartoons where everyone looks like they're on Meth.

3 comments:

  1. Love the description. You look very skinny in the pictures. (That's a good thing too.) I love most of all that I was spared. I don't weather parties well--especially with 20-some screaming, little racers. I for one am most thankful that you had a good time. I was so worried and nervous for you. I really don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Blogger reposted the article, but not my witty comment. Sigh. Your post is more important though. I can always post a humorous reply any time. ;o) You are a party girl. Looks like they all had a great time. I remember I did say you look skinny in the pictures. So that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are crazy. You take parties to a whole other level. I bet your boys loved every bit of it. I can't believe our kids are six. Does this mean we're old? :)

    ReplyDelete