Monday, May 9, 2011

"Polo Pony"

When I was 4-5 years old I loved horses and ponies.  I even rodeo'd a little in the Wendell Idaho Little Buckeroo Rodeo- now that's big time right there! I muttin' busted (yep- rode a sheep around till I fell off) and goat looped (rode a horse out to a goat in the middle of the arena that had a collar and leash on it and put a lasso around his neck), but more than anything I wanted to own my own horse.  Our friends were big time Idaho rodeo people, and they would let me ride their daughters pony- Candy. But I wanted my own horse that I could name and enjoy.

My parents took me up to Sun Valley to a polo match so I could watch the horses.  There was a raffle for a horse, and I of course thought our $1 raffle ticket would be the winner.  I set my heart so much on it and I was absolutely crushed and astounded that our ticket didn't get drawn.... I have a real bad tendency to get my heart set on something and then when it doesn't turn out like I thought, I'm heart broken.  Which is where the "Polo Pony" term comes from.  My mom and I always say when I'm setting my self up for disappointment it's the "Polo Pony" all over again:)

Well today at 1:53 pm Central time the auction closes for a Toy Hauler that we are bidding on in Kingman, AZ. This is the mother of all toy haulers and would be a STEAL if we got it for this price.  So I am trying to not get my heart too set on winning it because we are at the max we are willing to spend right now. I'll let you know how it goes.  The boys are so excited that they might finally get their "house trailer" as they call it.  Hopefully it's not the "Polo Pony" all over again! :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my sweet, optimistic, (foolishly naive) daughter...Your dad does the same thing every time we go fishing. He's always gonna get "Jaws!" Then he's amazed and crushed that he didn't. Now if you both were more realistic (aka negative) like me, you wouldn't expect anything good ever and then you're never disappointed. So much more sensible. (No eye rolling, dear daughter!) Good luck on the trailer--you bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I try to keep my hopes up and keep a positive attitude but a little bug inside me is always preparing for disappointment. Hope you guys won't be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya' sister. I hear ya'. I flashbacked to a ten speed bike that there was a drawing for and I was absolutely sure I would get it.

    *sniff sniff*

    I need a kleenex. The moment has gotten to me.

    ReplyDelete