I decided to share an average day in the life of Bean. These photos were all taken within a 24 hour time period. What are we going to do with this kid? Shoes on the wrong feet every day, socks are upside down with the heels on top of his foot, underwear inside out and backwards and now this? Seriously.
Everyday he's always telling me the different things he's going to be when he grows up. Today, it's a rock star. Usually it's a landscaper. Sometimes it's a chef or any type of repair man or "fix it" man. He is both unique and wonderful. Everyone that meets him loves him and says how sweet he his. Just a moment ago I had to "Come see his poo-poo!" Both of my boys are very proud of their bathroom accomplishments. Thank goodness I don't have to do that task with their father!
He wakes up happy every morning- usually very, very early. We give him medicine to fall asleep because his little clock doesn't turn off. We give him medicine every morning because he doesn't turn off. We give him vitamins and medicine to help with his bathroom troubles. Anyone that would like to suggest not using medicine is welcome to come spend a 24 hour increment of time with the un-medicated child. I dare ya. I've tried different foods, taking away foods, adding foods, different milks. Nothing helps for very long. But a medicated Bean is a better Bean. Truly. He is happier when he has his medicine.
One of his recent accomplishments that he's proud of is he can make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich by himself- start to finish. He can get ready for school start to finish including: making his bed, shower, clothes, hair, teeth, shoes etc. Usually I have some fixing here and there to do- but he is getting quite good. Tying shoes? Not so much. I hoping by the time he gets out of High School. The church clothes above are entirely a different story, but we will get there some day.
He's been asking to paint this little wooden truck I bought him. Is it ever an easy time to stop and get the paints out? No, pretty much never. I finally gave in so we did this activity last night:
Right now he's wandering around singing and eating a banana. Just a moment ago I saw this:
He's watching a little of Jake and the Never land Pirates before he gets on the bus. He's somehow managed to get the hiccups this morning as well..... I just helped him tie his shoes and he made farting noises and laughed the entire time. This morning he helped me make Chocolate Chip muffins. Random, random. You never know what you are going to be asked to do next by the Bean. And try teaching this kid to read, write, pay attention, etc.
Go ahead- try to diagnose him. We've taken him through a host of testing, different doctors and he gets special help through the school programs. Bean cannot be categorized or contained in any one medical label. He definitely has ADD. Again, if you would like to come spend 24 hours with Bean- I dare ya. He has attributes of Aspergers (Autism spectrum) but on testing he is just below the bar. We give him lots of love, lots of encouragement, and the tools he needs to succeed. I try to protect him from kids that aren't patient and kind, but I know I can't always be there. Luckily he sticks up for himself pretty well. I love that about him. If Rooster gets to doggin' on him, Bean will tell him to knock it off. He's a great kid, he's my Bean:)
Great post Rach :)
ReplyDeleteThere be no better Bean! He's just himself. I think one day he will even out a little. I told you the kids in that Primary class made Blake look calm. He's stellar compared to them. I love the post. Do publish it!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, sounds just like my youngest boy actually. Taking him for testing tomorrow. They think he's Asperger's/high functioning Asperger's but doesn't quite meet some of the qualifications, but doesn't quite fit some of the ADD things either. I love that little boy...wouldn't have him any other way, he's taught me so much.
ReplyDelete:)
I meant high functioning autism. :)
ReplyDeleteI love this post. He sounds like a wonderful kid. I am all for doing whatever works to keep kids happy and functioning. Sounds like you are doing great.
ReplyDelete